Emerging renewable ocean energy technologies are a crucial part of reducing dependency on fossil fuel, reducing “carbon footprint” with respect to global climate change, and developing energy independence at coastal facilities around the world.
Realizing that offshore testing is a key element to developing wave energy conversion (WEC) devices, SST continues to support developers as they assess and pursue wave energy demonstration projects at selected test facilities and advance their products towards commercial viability.
SST provides technical support within the wave energy technology community in the following critical areas:
- Marine geophysical surveys
- Environmental planning & permitting
- WEC mooring load analysis
- Mooring and anchoring design & installation
- Power/data transmission cable design & installation
- Acoustic, magnetic, & fiber optic sensor
- WEC device installation planning & execution
Lifesaver Energy Platform in water at Waterfront Operations’ quay wall, Marine Corps Base Hawaii , Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, awaiting installation at Wave Energy Test Site 80m berth. Photo credit: Sound & Sea Technology, Inc.
SST performed the load analysis, designed the mooring, specified the transmission and dynamic riser cable, and planned the installation for a major Wave Energy Converter project under contract to Abengoa Sea Power.